The Institute of Economic Forecasting of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IEF RAS) specializes in fundamental, applied and exploratory scientific research in the field of analysis and forecasting of the socio-economic prospects of Russia and its regions, and the development of recommendations and proposals with a goal to improve the quality of economic policy in Russia.
At the present time, the main directions of the scientific work performed in the departments (so-called “laboratories”) and the research centers of the Institute are:
- The development and enhancement of the methodology of macrostructural analysis and forecasting and research of structural aspects of economic dynamics;
- Providing expertise and integrated feasibility studies for the government’s economic policy measures;
- The development of forecasts and development strategies for intersectoral complexes and particular industries of the Russian economy;
- The development of forecasts and socio-economic development strategies of Russian regions;
- Macrofinancial analysis and forecasting, and studies on the monetary and banking system’s and fiscal processes;
- Research on the risks of substantial economic development (natural and climatic, technological, environmental, macroeconomical and macrofinancial).
Amongst the key partners and clients of the Institute are federal government ministries and offices (including the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation, the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation, etc.), governmental representative bodies (the State Duma, the Federation Council), administrations from Russia’s regions, and large Russian corporations.
IEF RAS was founded in 1986 on the basis of several scientific divisions of Central Economics and the Mathematics Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. IEF RAS was instrumental in the development of social-economical sections of the 20 Years Forward Integrated Programs of Scientific-Technical Progress of the USSR.
Many world-class scientists have worked in the Institute at different times. They made a significant contribution to the studies on theory and methodology of reproduction, intersectoral analysis and modeling, and the development of integrated applied programs of social and structural-technological transformations of the national economy. Amongst them are such prominent Russian scientist-economists as Anschishkin A.I., Yaremenko U.V., Shatalin S.S., Nekrasov A.S., Ershov E.B., Klozvog F.N.
The Institute actively collaborates with other research centers and universities in Russia and abroad. Amongst others, the Institute participates in “Inforum” – the worldwide research community of modeling and forecasting. The Institute’s platform includes running the ongoing Russian-French seminar on macrofinancial studies.
The Institute publishes the journal “Studies on Russian Economic Development”, six issues per year, which started in 1990. The journal is translated into English and is published abroad by the publishing house “Pleiades Publishing”. It is indexed by more than 15 worldwide bibliographic databases (SCOPUS, Google Scholar, Academic OneFile and others). In addition, the Institute publishes the journal “Scientific Articles – Institute of Economic Forecasting Russian Academy of Sciences”, which is on the list of peer-reviewed scientific publications of the Higher Attestation Commission of Russia.
Postgraduate courses and the Ph.D. Thesis Committee in Economical Sciences operate at the Institute.